Most guys want to impress a girl, but tend to go at it from all the wrong angles. Instead of impressing her, they end up turning her off. Although not all girls are the same, and look for different things in guys, there are a few tips that you can use to get a girl to look your way more often.
Part One: Let Your Personality Shine
- Be funny. Girls love funny guys. If you can make a girl laugh, then you have a good shot at making her fall in love with you. Practice jokes on your friends (guy-friends and girl-friends, because there’s a difference of what they find funny) and keep the jokes that work and throw away the jokes that don’t.
- Be playful. Studies have found that girls are attracted to guys who are playful. Being playful is attractive because it shows youthfulness and the ability to have fun. So find your inner child, throw away all the ideas about what you think you should and shouldn’t do, and play around, especially when you’re with her.
- Be interesting. Girls like guys who have interesting lives, and who do cool things for fun. As long as you’re passionate about something, and you get involved in doing that or learning about it, you’ll be more attractive in her eyes. No girl just wants to sit around and watch you play video games all day.
- Be mysterious. A little mystery goes a long way. Don’t let her in on every little thing you’re doing. Hint more than you usually do, and downplay things instead of being really excited. Mystery will make you a puzzle in her book, and she’ll want to solve you.
- Have great conversations with her. You don’t have to talk about books or high-culture or any of that stuff. All it takes is getting an opportunity to talk with her and running with it. Once you have that chance to talk to her, ask her good questions, and listen to what she says.
Questions you can ask her are: “Where did you grow up?” “What do you want to do when you grow up?” “What do your parents do for a living?” “Do you have any brothers or sisters?” or “Have you traveled anywhere interesting,” to name a few.
- Find a way to compliment her. Don’t compliment her all the time, because it will become obvious that you’re really into her. But try to give her at least one nice compliment. If it’s done in the right way, it’s guaranteed that she’ll remember the compliment, and remember you as well.
- If you’re really confident, give her a compliment about her looks, like “Your eyes are a pretty color green,” or “Your hairstyle makes you look really pretty.”
- If you’re a little nervous about complimenting her, say something like “I really like how you stick up for people,” or “You’re really smart; where did you learn all of that?”
- Find out what you’re smart at. Girls like guys who are smart. That doesn’t mean you have to be Einstein to get a girl, but it does mean that you have to be smart about something. Find out what you’re smart about. Maybe it’s sports, maybe it’s stock car racing, maybe it’s American History. Be proud of what you’re smart about and don’t be afraid of hiding it.
- Make friends with cool girls, especially. If you make friends with other girls, that tells her that she can trust you because other girls trust you. Pretty soon, you’ll grow more comfortable around them. Making friends with girls is especially smart because you might hear information about her — what she likes, what she doesn’t like, who she’s interested in — that could be valuable later on.
- Be the guy who everyone wants to be around. Be an all-around guy. Be able to talk to the goths, jocks, popular kids, geeks, and everyone else. She will feel way more comfortable around you knowing that you are cool with everyone you know, instead of being the lonely guy in the back of the classroom who has no friends. Start slow, though. You don’t need to be friends with everyone all of a sudden.
Part Two: Pay Attention to Your Looks
- Shower every day. Make sure you hop in the shower or take a bath every day. If you play sports after school, you may want to shower in the nighttime, after you come home from practice. Shampoo your hair every other day. If you’re smelling clean and natural, girls will be more comfortable coming close to you and even hugging you.
- Wash your face in the morning and at night. Some guys get acne or pimples as they get older and their bodies start to change. The treatment for acne is to wash your face gently, twice a day, and get topical (meaning: something you put on top of) creams that you put on your pimples right before going to sleep. If you start to have serious problems with pimples, see a doctor. But if your face is looking nice and spot-free, girls will see how handsome you are without anything distracting them.
- Wear deodorant, not cologne. Cologne is mostly for grown ups, and cheap cologne doesn’t really smell that good. For boys, a nice, simple deodorant will do. You don’t have to smell really good; you just have to not smell bad. Remember that deodorants that have a strong smell will start to smell different once they mix with your sweat.
- Wear nice clothes. Not just around her, but also when you leave the house. If your clothes have a bunch of holes in them, or are dirty, or don’t really fit you, chances are she’s going to notice you…in a bad way. If you can, impress her with the clothes you wear. If you can’t afford new clothes, don’t worry: if you have a great personality and you’re really sweet to her, this step won’t matter.
- Stick with basic, classic clothes instead of flashy and fancy. There’s a time and a place for fancy, and unless you’ve already graduated college, you don’t have to worry about it yet. You don’t need to wear loud button-up shirts that have a bunch of logos on them to impress a girl. Girls like classic clothes, like a good pair of jeans, a nice, form-fitting t-shirt, and a matching sweater. Don’t try to blow her away with your clothes; try to blow her away with your charm, your humor, and your interest in her.
- Be consistent. If you’re going for a certain look, be consistent about it. It’s not wrong to wear really preppy clothes one day and punk clothes the next, but it’s jarring, and you’re sending mixed messages. Stick to one style and own it.
Part Three: Get Close to Her
- Make eye contact with her. Eye contact is really important. Don’t look away while talking to her, because it shows that you’re not confident. Look into her eyes at the right moment and keep them there for a little while. Don’t be afraid to show her that she makes you want to look at her. If you find her looking at you in class, try not to be the one who looks away first.
- Stick up for her. If she’s getting teased by another girl, or she happens to be in a fight, come to her side. Even if it’s just another person badmouthing her while she’s not there, stick up for her. When she sees that you’re there to stick up for her, or when she hears that you’ve defended her, her heart will go out to you. Don’t make her guess whether you’re on her side; show her you’re on her side.
- Have natural conversations with her. Talking to her will give her a chance to see all of what you offer: how charming you are, how funny you are, how well you listen, how good you look up close, and how warm of a person you are. Show her all of these qualities.
- Try not to be nervous when you talk to her. If you’re nervous, remember a time in the past when you were nervous about something, and think, “Am I nervous about that now?” You’re probably not. And if you’re not nervous about that thing now, you’re probably not going to be nervous about talking to her in the future. So why should you be nervous now?
- Try do to something exciting, scary, or completely new with her. Doing something that raises your heart-rate (something scary or exciting) is known to release a chemical in people’s brain that helps bond them together. That’s why haunted houses, roller coasters, and scary movies are such great ideas for a date.
- Summer is a great opportunity to get close to her. Popular things to do in the summer include: going to the beach, going to outdoor movies, going to amusement parks, going on camping trips, and simply hanging out with friends. You don’t really need an excuse to just hang out during summer. Ask your friend to plan a pool party and invite her, or schedule a 4th of July party and ask your parents permission to invite friends.
- Find out what you both have in common. A great way to find out whether you two have stuff in common is just to ask her what she likes, or what she likes doing. If you’re not comfortable asking her, try to find out from friends what she enjoys doing. Maybe you both like going wakeboarding, and you’re the only people in your class who know how to wakeboard. Well, that would be an awesome opportunity for you to get closer to you because you’d have a good excuse.
Part 4: Asking Her Out On A Date
- You don’t have to call it a “date.” Lots of guys make the mistake of specifically asking the girl if she wants to go on a date with them. This isn’t bad, but it’s not the way to get a date. Don’t ask for a date.
- The wrong way to ask: “Hey, would you want to go on a movie-date with me next weekend?” She might be a little put off that you’re asking her on a date.
- The right way to ask: “Hey, I got two tickets to that movie that we were talking about last week, would you want to go with me?” If she asks you whether it’s a date, then you can say “yes.” You’ll have a lot more success asking for a date if you don’t call it a date.
- If she says she doesn’t want to go, then swallow your pride, smile, and say “I understand,” before walking away. Don’t let her see that it affects you. You can always try to go after her again sometime down the road. Or you can stay friends with her and show her what she’s missing. Regardless, you want to try to stay strong, even if you’re boiling up inside.
- If she says yes, then lucky you! All your hard work has paid off. And if she’s not completely obsessed with you already, she’s probably pretty eager to get to know you. The hardest part is over. Tell her: “Cool. I’ll call you tomorrow about the movie,” give her a quick smile and walk away.
- Be yourself. Don’t try to be someone else when you ask her on the date, or during the date. Be comfortable with and confident in who you are, because it’s gotten you this far already. It’s much better to feel natural but maybe a little nervous (nerves are OK, trust us) than it is to feel like you’re trying to impersonate someone else. That won’t feel natural.
- Make her feel comfortable around you. Don’t try to pull any funny stuff or make any moves in the beginning. Smile, be gentlemanly, and develop good conversation. (Ask a lot of questions!) Savor every minute of it, because it will fly by. Above all, be respectful of her. She’ll appreciate this a lot because not every guy will be respectful. But you will.
- When you’re close to her, slowly break the touch barrier. What this means is that you should begin to touch her on socially appropriate places, like her back or her arm, in certain situations. This will help her bond with you. Getting used to making contact with her will help you become more intimate with her as you continue the beginning of the relationship.
- You can touch her lightly on the back shoulder when you’re giving her a compliment. Or when you’re making a point about her, you can lightly tap her hand.
- When you’re ready, usually at the end of the date, say “I like you.” Tell her that you’ve liked her for a long time, and that she makes you feel more alive than any other person can. Tell her how she makes you feel, but keep it short. If she doesn’t say anything, then switch the subject. You can ask her out again at the end of the night to see how she feels about you. If she explains that she doesn’t like you, then respect her decision and try to move on. If she smiles, giggles, plays with her hair, or says “I like you too,” you know you’re living the good life!
Impress a Girl Quiz
1. B. Telling her every detail of your life won’t make her fall for you. Leave a little mystery to keep her interested. 2. B. Asking her questions about herself and her likes and dislikes will show her that you want to get to know her well. 3. A. Dressing well and looking well kept is always attractive and will show her that you’re mature and responsible. 4. D. Make sure you pay attention to her when you’re on a date. This will show her that you’re serious about liking her and enjoy spending time with her. 5. D. If she doesn’t have feelings for you, begging her to give you a chance will probably just annoy her. Try to understand her feelings, and do your best to just be a good friend. 6. B. Make sure you don’t ignore her around other people especially your friends because if you do she might think that you want to keep your feelings for her a secret.
- Compliment her sometimes on something that she doesn’t think that you will notice. When she is wearing something a little more special than normal, comment to her that she is looking especially nice.
- If the girl doesn’t like you, don’t try to persuade her that she should. This will only make things worse. You can’t explain to people how they should feel.
- Don’t curse in front of her. Some girls don’t like boys who curse, so you don’t want to take that chance.
- Avoid ignoring her while you are with your friends. Your friends will always be around and if you consume time with them instead of her at the right moment, then you might miss that chance with her.
- On the first date, the farthest you should go is holding hands. This will show her that you don’t want to let her go but you’re not pressuring her into anything she doesn’t want to do.
- Be confident but don’t let her get into your grades.