NBC’s three-hour televised musical The Sound of Music Live!, starring country music star Carrie Underwood as Maria von Trapp and True Blood’s Stephen Moyer as Captain von Trapp, airs live.
For the uninitiated, The Sound of Music tells the story of aspiring nun Maria’s adventure to become governess for the widower Captain von Trapp’s seven kids, but her romantic emotions for the Captain kick in and she begins to doubt her religious calling.
But before you watch Underwood take on the iconic role national TV, here are six fun facts to digest and share with your friends family.
1. This is not a remake of The Sound of Music movie. It’s a televised version of the musical. Here is a behind-the-scenes look at how it was made:
2. There won’t be a live studio audience; only people watching on TV will see the performances live.
3. The live show will be shot on seven sets inside a warehouse in Long Island, New York.
4. In total, the live show will reportedly cost as much as $9 million, sources told The Hollywood Reporter.
5. Craig Zadan and Neil Meron, the production team behind TV musical drama series Smash, partnered with NBC to create the live show.
6. To get fans involved, producers crowdsourced a music video for “Do-Re-Mi.” The video stars Carrie Underwood, the cast, YouTubers and fans.